Saturday, August 14, 2010

one week later...

Hi everyone.

So I survived my first week of work at camp! I have too many bug bites to count ha and they itch... but that's okay! There is so much to go over from camp. But I don't really feel like going into the details right now because it's too much! So let's just say that the teen boys are okay, some are cool with me, some tell me they'd date me, and others flick [flip?] me off on a regular basis. It's been aaweessome.

The bugs are crazy! Like I just said, I have a lot of bug bites all over. There are flies and ants and bees and spiders of every shape and size and every time I see a bug I give a small shudder and pretend it doesn't bother me. The boys can't see that I'm weak! hah. All I do is sweat and swat at bugs and use a dirty smelly port-a-potty and smile while I'm doing all that! Working with children with special needs has given me patience and the ability to show no real reaction... but it's hard not to react when a guy with a verry colorful language is flicking [flipping?] me off and yelling obscenities at me. It has been a fun week.

The people I work/live with are pretty frickin' awesome! I have hung out with 6/9 other people that live in this house. And I must say they're all pretty cool people! Let's see... there is Rachel, she is from Arkansas. She is fun she likes to sing just about anything. Then there is Britta from New Hampshire. We have the same friends! Small world but she studied abroad in Granada, Spain the semester after me and she knows some of the kids I was there with. Crazzzy. Next there is Hector from Irvine, CA! Then there is Brian from Buffalo, NY. He's fun. They're all fun. Megan is from Massachusetts somewhere... Anna is from someplace I haven't had the chance to really hang out with her at the TO house. Nick is from Ohio someplace. He's a talll big bald guy. Last is Josh.. who I haven't talked to a whole lot yet but eventually we'll chat. So far, we all get along great but I guess it's too soon to really tell hah since I've only been here a week.

It is back to work tomorrow until next Friday I think. That is a long stretch of work for being so new! But I'm okay. Mixed emotions sometimes, but overall the experience has been positive. I feel that once I know what I am [and should be] doing, things will be okay. I feel a little useless when the kids get escalated, but everyone tells me with time I'll know how to react and respond to their escalation. For now, I am just supposed to develop relationships with the boys and establish some trust with them. So that is what I am doing.

Anyway, that is all for now. Goodbye family and friends! =)

2 comments:

  1. keep on trucking! im so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meli, miss you. hope you are enjoying your experiences. I love your blogs, there are funny and detail. I do not know if to cry or laugh! love you and please take care of your self.

    ReplyDelete